Thursday, April 14, 2011

The journey of the Master Bath thus far



When we bought the house, the master bath looked like this: It had dark red-brown paint, oak medicine cabinets, peach counter...


By the way, when you looked up to look at yourself in the mirror, you had to lean right or left to actually see yourself in the mirror. Right in the middle was the mirror frame and handles. Real functional, people.


Right off the bat we painted the walls (Gobi Desert by Behr) and replaced the medicine cabinets.

Here is a close-up of the cabinets and peach countertop. Oh, and brass handles. The hinges were also probably brass at one time, but they apparently aged to a bronze color.

Then I had granite put in back in February. I did replace the faucets although I sort of regret it. The old ones were cuter. Whatever.

I got sick of looking at this every time I sat down on the potty. Plastic side. Oak t.p. holder. ARG! I just hated it. I had to do something about it.
So I took off the holder...

Then I used liquid nails to put up some beadboard on the side.

It sat like that for a few weeks. Finally I just had to bite the bullet. So I pulled off all the doors, washed them, liquid sanded them, caulked the panels, filled any holes that were getting a change in hardware...
And then painted them. 2 coats of Kilz2 latex (no fumes for me this time around). Then 2-3 coats of topcoat. It's an off white. Custom mix to match my doors and trim.
Same for the boxes. Wash, liquid sand...
...2 coats of primer...

...and 2-3 coats of topcoat.
Put all the hardware on and hang everything back up. The dummy panels in the middle of the drawers got turned into tilt-outs so they got new handles too.

Yeah...I need to touch up the wall paint. Oh, and the light fixture. I need to do something about that. Today I did finally order tile for the backsplashes in the kitchen and both bathrooms! It is a glass 3x6 subway tile. That will be a big project for me and my first tiling experience! I think I will leave the flooring for 2012!!

1 comment: