Sunday, May 13, 2012

Master Bath Floor Tile part 2

 I don't have any pictures of the dry layout, but I totally recommend doing that. You don't want to have to make decisions or tricky cuts while your thinset is already mixed up. You want to be all ready to go when that stuff is ready.

I started at the far end of the room and worked my way out.

 Here is around the toilet. Make sure you have room to slide the toilet bolts back under the flange. I didn't consider it and barely had room. Whew! If I had an angle grinder or something I could fix it but I don't. So I got lucky.
 Not perfect, but pretty good considering I just used my wet saw to cut the curves. It will all be covered by the toilet anyway.

 Here is the tiles along the tub.

 Coming out of the bathroom. I was able to get 4 whole tiles across. And I never had to make any cuts small than half a tile.
I cleaned off any residual thinset on the tiles and got ready for grout.

 Grouting.
 Wiping off the grout.

Area grouted around the toilet.
The tile raised the height of the floor so a flange extender was needed. Plus I also used an "extra" thick wax ring to also compensate for the tile plus thinset.
Time to start putting baseboard back in. I used a 1x3 size. Cutting around the valve in the wall was tricky since it was round and I don't have the right tool to do that yet. My birthday is coming up, hint, hint.
More trim.
Might as well paint while I can....
I cut a hole for the heat register.
When putting the toilet in, you pretty much do the reverse as taking it out. And don't let your kids near the bathroom so they don't break the top to your toilet tank! Now I gotta find a new one!
I still need to paint the baseboards to match the cabinets and other trim and get a transition strip for the doorway but otherwise, it's done! Wahoo! And way better.









3 comments:

  1. They broke your tank? Sucky =P maybe you'll get lucky and habitat will have one =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with your skills. When we buy a house will you teach me all you know? Can I be your apprentice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you’ve done a remarkable job replacing the tiles in your bathroom. It looks precise, accurate – it actually looks like it was done by a pro! And I definitely agree with your tip. It is always good to have a dry out layout or plan on any replacement before starting with the actual job. This will make the work easier, and will help you find out the exact size and cut of tiles, and where they should be placed.

    ReplyDelete